Worker Justice Sermons
- Holy Wisdom, Rev. jerry-folk-sermon-9-25
- First Unitarian Society: https://www.fusmadison.org/2016-09-04 (sermon starts at 45:00)
- First United Methodist: “Sacred Work” by Reverand Tina Lang http://firstunitedmethodistmadison.org/worship/sermons/sacred-work/
- Labor Day 2016 – Pastor Rick Reiten, Bristol Lutheran Church
- Let Her Works Praise Her – ICWJ Organizer Sarah Smoot at Kenwood United Methodist Church, Milwaukee, Sep. 20, 2015
- Order of Worship from Kenwood UMC, 09/20/2015 – includes worker justice affirmation of faith
- Moral Injustice: A Biblical Call to Address Wealth Inequality – ICWJ Director Rabbi Renée Bauer at Sherman Avenue United Methodist Church on Labor Sunday (09/06) 2015
- Work as a Spiritual Discipline – Video – Reverend Michael Schuler, ICWJ Board Member, at First Unitarian Society of Madison, September 6th, 2015 (Labor Sunday)
- Lammastide – Preached by Reverend Miranda Hassett, St. Dunstan’s Episcopal, Madison. On Labor Sunday, Sep. 6th, 2015.
- “Seeing Fire” – Sarah Smoot, organizer, at Dale Heights Presbyterian Church, Madison. June 28th, 2015
- Jonah and Becoming a Prophet for Worker Justice – Sarah Smoot, organizer, at Trinity United Methodist Church, Madison. January 25, 2015
“Liberal Religion and the Laboring Classes” – Michael A. Schuler, Senior Minister – 1st Unitarian Society of Madison
Labor Sunday, Aug. 31, 2014
A number of UU congregations belong to the Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice which partners with organized labor to advance the interests of wage earners. Historically, however, when it comes to supporting workers’ rights our own movement’s record is decidedly mixed. On this Labor Day Sunday, we’ll see how our forebears responded to the question posed by Kentucky’s Depression-era coal miners: “Which side are you on?”
- Drawn to the Problem of Poverty – Rabbi Renee Bauer, ICWJ Director
- God With Us – Labor in the Pulpit sermon, 2014, by Sarah Smoot, ICWJ organizer. At Sherman Avenue United Methodist Church
- Rev. Jerry L. Folk, Ash Wednesday 2013 AshWednesday.2013 (1)
- Rabbi Renee Bauer at First Unitarian Society http://fusmadison.org/media/2012-09-02-organized-labor-rb.mp3
- John Matthews Executive Director of MTI and Pastor Phil Haslanger Memorial United Church of Christ. Here’s the link.
- Rev. Sue Larson’ Sermon –14th Sunday after Pentecost, Sept. 1-2, 2012 Immanuel Lutheran Church LINK
- ICWJ’s director, Rabbi Renee Bauer, gave a speech at the vigil at the State Capitol on March 9, 2012, marking the first anniversary of the passing of the anti-worker bill. Click here to hear the speech from Rabbi Renee Bauer.
- Pastor Phil Haslanger of Memorial United Church of Christ offered an invocation at the beginning of a vigil at the State Capitol on March 9, 2012, marking the first anniversary of the passing of the anti-worker bill. Click here to read the invocation and a link to video footage of this vigil.
- The following reflection written by Rabbi Bonnie Margulis connects the Jewish holiday of Purim and worker justice.
- Click here to read a reflection written by Pastor Ron Adams of Madison Mennonite Church connecting Lent and worker justice.
- Another great Christmas reflection from Sister Maureen McDonnell connecting Christmas and worker justice. Please click here to read this reflection.
- Pastor Nick Utphall from St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church wrote a reflection connecting Christmas and worker justice. Click here to read the reflection.
- The following reflection on the connection between Winter Solstice and economic justice is written by Rev. Darrel Richey of James Reeb Unitarian Universalist Congregation.
- Click here to read a reflection written by Rabbi Jonathan Biatch connecting Hanukkah and worker justice.
- Board member Jerry Folk wrote some words on worker justice in Wisconsin and the Advent season. Click here to read the reflection.
- Rabbi Renée Bauer, director of the Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice, and Rabbi Laurie Zimmerman delivered this sermon at Congregation Mayim Rabim in Minneapolis, MN for Yom Kippur 5772.
- Board member Craig Myrbo preached at Prairie Unitarian Universalist Society. To listen to his message in MP3 format, please click here (19 minutes, 39 seconds).
- Kim Bobo, Founder and Executive Director of Interfaith Worker Justice (IWJ), came to Madison Sunday September 5th, 2010, as part of the Interfaith Coalition for Worker Justice’s Labor in the Pulpit Program. She spoke at the worship service at First Congregational United Church of Christ. To listen to her speech click here!
- Listen to a sermon by ICWJ director, Rabbi Renee Bauer, given on Labor Day 2010 at Prairie Unitarian Universalist Society of Madison. Listen here!
- Click here to read the sermon delivered by Rabbi Renee Bauer on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in 2010.
- Click here to read the sermon about Biblical Hagar delivered by Rabbi Renee Bauer to commemorate Rosh Hashanah 5770 at Congregation Mayim Rabin in Minneapolis, MN.
- Click here to read the sermon delivered about immigrant workers in Postville, Iowa, at Congregation Sharei Shamayim in Madison by former ICWJ board co-chair Rabbi Laurie Zimmerman. This sermon was delivered on October 9, 2008 for Yom Kippur 5769.