Were you inspired by the Wisconsin uprising? Â Do you want to continue the fight for justice?
The ICWJ of South Central Wisconsin is seeking a candidate for the new Field OrganizerÂ position. Â The Field Organizer will be involved with the Faith-Based Labor Rights Organizing Initiative, a project that will strengthen the relationship between organized labor in Wisconsin and the faith-based organizations that work for social justice. Â Rather than simply work on a case-by-case basis, we will expand permanent capacity to foster and grow long term relationships between faith communities and labor organizations. Â The faith based organizer will sustain and enhance the current organizing initiatives of the Interfaith Coalition of Worker Justice (ICWJ). This initiative will allow ICWJ expand both its influence and its geographic reach. Â The initiative will provide a structure through which the faith community and the labor community can think and work together in ways that enhance the self-interest of each and secure a more just, safe and equitable future for all Wisconsinites.Candidates should possess strong oral and written communication and organization skills, be comfortable communicating with labor union leaders and religious clergy, and have strong multi-tasking skills. Â The position is funded for 6 months, with a goal of securing permanent funding. Â The candidate will report to the Executive Director. Â Some travel throughout south central Wisconsin is required, as well as some weekend and evening hours. Â The candidate will work 10 hours per week, with the hourly wage starting at $15 per hour
Tasks for the Field Organizer may include (in no particular order):
- Conduct face to face outreach meetings with labor and religious leaders.
- Update the ICWJ website
- Update the ICWJ Facebook fan page
- Maintaining the ICWJ database of supporters
- Assisting in the coordination of fundraising events
- Send out action alerts via email when needed
- Coordinate newsletter production
- Research new legislative policies, current events
- Organize and coordinate public displays
- Represent ICWJ at rallies/events
- Coordinate rallies, events
- Coordinate the creation of publicity material, fliers, sign up sheets, etc
- Facilitate organization and distribution of mailings
- Participate in outreach with other organizations
- Work with Director to plan and prioritize tasks
- Work with board to complete projects and prioritize tasks
Other requirements include:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- A bachelors degree is preferred, but not required
- Access to a reliable automobile for some travel throughout south central Wisconsin – all travel expenses will be reimbursed
Questions to answer during the application process:
- What motivates you to apply for this position?
- What role do you see the religious community playing in advocating for justice in the workplace?
A cover letter, resume and answers to the above two questions should be submitted by Friday, September 2, to:
Field Organizer Search
ICWJ of South Central Wisconsin
2300 S Park St #109
Madison, WI 53713
(No phone calls, please!)